We know how frustrating it is when your printer stops working in-between printing important assignments. The printing status will be paused, and you can’t resume the task no matter how hard you try.
According to worldwide reports, this issue mostly occurs with HP printers connecting to Windows 11/10 devices. If you want to fix printer status is paused, cannot resume errors in Windows 11/10 devices, then we have got your back.
Generally, you can try resuming the printing service that goes paused accidentally. Or, you can restart the print spooler service to eliminate this particular error. Here’s how you can address your printer and find a fix for it.
How can You fix Printer Status is Paused, Cannot Resume Error in Windows 11/10 Devices?
This printer issue can appear out of nowhere and trouble you for a long period. It’s better to fix ‘printer status is paused, cannot resume error’ in Windows 11/10 as soon as possible.
Let’s try out all the possible solutions to restore printing abilities to your printer.
Enable the Paused Printer Manually
There are chances that your printer is paused due to some mishandling gestures. Therefore, check whether your printer has entered the paused state automatically and enable its functionalities.
Go through the following steps and resume your printer’s functionality:
- Press the Windows and R keys together to launch a Run dialog box.
- Type ‘control printers’ in the box next to Open and press the Enter key. This will redirect you to the window of Devices and Printers.
- Locate your printer from the list of available printers and right-click on your printer. Make sure that you keep the box unchecked beside the ‘Pause Printing’ option.
Hopefully, your printer’s status will turn into running from paused after this solution.
Restart the Print Spooler Service
Users have confirmed that restarting the print spooler service can fix ‘printer status is paused, cannot resume error’ in Windows 11/10. If you are likely to apply the solution, then here’s what you need to follow:
- Launch a Run dialog box by pressing the Windows and R keys.
- Now, type in ‘services.msc’ in the box besides Open and click the OK button.
- Therefore, it will open up the Services window, and you need to scroll down.
- Find out the Print Spooler service and right-click on it.
- Click the Stop option if it appears to be working, and you can find the Stop option.
- Afterwards, you have to restart your computer and wait until it restarts completely.
- Again, you have to go to services and re-enable the Print Spooler service for all connected printers.
Clear the Print Queue
The accumulation of print tasks can be overwhelming for your printer. That’s why you should consider clearing the print queue and checking if you can eliminate this specific printer issue.
- Open Settings on your Windows 11/10 device by pressing the Windows and I keys together.
- Choose ‘Bluetooth & devices’ from the left pane of the Settings window.
- Go for the Printers and Scanners option from the window’s right pane.
- This will show you the complete list of connected printers and scanners. Select your printer and click on the option that says, ‘Open print queue’.
- Select the Printer tab from the menu bar. Ensure that the ‘Pause Printing’ option is disabled.
- After that, you need to click the ‘Cancel All Documents’ option. And, you have to click the Yes button on the prompt.
This will definitely clear all the outstanding printing jobs. To check if your printer has got its printing capabilities or not, go for the ‘Print a test page’ option. If your printer doesn’t initiate printing, then try the following solutions.
Run the Troubleshooter for Printers
Running the built-in printer troubleshooter is an advantage for Windows users who are trying to fix ‘printer status is paused, cannot resume error’ in Windows 11/10. This tool is popular because of the quick rectification of printer menaces.
Abide by the following instructions for recovering your printer from the paused status:
- Open Settings by clicking on the Start menu followed by the gear-shaped icon.
- Go to the Devices section and choose Printers & Scanners from the left hand of the window.
- Locate the ‘Run the troubleshooter’ option on the right hand of the Settings window.
The entire process might consume some time. Therefore, wait for a while and check if the printer error persists.
Re-install the Problematic Printer
Instances might be there when none of the solutions seems to be working. Don’t give up and try this method instead. Check out how you can reinstall the printer manually:
- Bring up the Context menu by pressing the Windows and X keys simultaneously. Select Device Manager from the list.
- Once the Device Manager window expands, click the Print Queue option.
- This will show all the installed printers. Right-click on the printer that’s causing the error.
- Click the Uninstall Device option from the menu and opt for the Uninstall option to confirm your action.
Quit the Device Manager window and restart your Windows computer. Try connecting the printer when the computer restarts. This will automatically download and install required printer drivers.
Or, you can manually download and install the latest printer drivers from the official site of printer manufacturers.
Additional Workarounds for Paused Printer Status
If you are still looking for solutions to fix ‘printer status is paused, cannot resume error’ in Windows 11/10, then make sure no hardware damage is triggering the instance. For example, damaged USB ports and cables, paper jamming, and faulty toner cartridges can lead to the same consequences. If they are annoying you, Printer Repairs Dubai suggests you go for expert intervention.